Mining is considered a State Policy and pillar of the reconversion of the productive and employment matrix in the last 12 years in the province. The mining cluster, comprised of mining exploration, extractive mining, mining-based industries and mining services; it represents 27% of the Gross Geographical Product (GDP) San Juan has:
- Mining resources: San Juan has an undetermined mining geological potential. Its resources are located in Provincial Mining Reserve Areas, whose ownership correspond to the Provincial Institute of Mining Explorations and Exploitations; that decides, then exploration and exploitation through contracts concluded with third parties. Or, Mining Resources of Free Availability: available to be requested, through the Ministry of Mining, by any physical or juridical person, national or foreign
- Knowledge: San Juan has the only Geographic Information System (GIS) on-line in Argentina. Through this, potential investors from any part of the world can identify the available mineral resources, facilitating mining concession, mining canon and registration of mining rights
- Experience: our mining activity is highly technological, with specialized human resources and a cluster of suppliers with world class quality standards. In San Juan, there is the Veladero gold mine, operated by the companies Barrick and Shandong, considered the first digital mine in the country, which has an Integrated Center for Remote Operations.
- Provincial government committed to the sustainable development of mining. It counts with effective control systems and works, together with the private sector, in the awareness of corporate social responsibility.
- Provincial fiscal incentives: The new regime for Promotion of the Mining Activity establishes the total exemption from gross income tax; real estate in relation to assets linked to the activity; automotive in vehicles affected for this purpose and elimination of stamp tax of any contract directly related to the activity. Enforcement authority: Dirección General de Rentas http://www.sanjuandgr.gov.ar.
- Social license: the local society supports the responsible mining activity.
- Prestige: San Juan is 2nd in the Ranking of Attraction of Mining Investments of Argentina, a position it has not lost since 2014 (Consultant ABECEB and CAEM) and is the most attractive Argentine province for mining investment according to the latest report from the Fraser Institute from Canada